I would like to thank all the readers for all the support on my blog.
On such a great occasion I could not let it pass without wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and all the best for your families and friends.
I decided to offer a free gift to all you supporters and nothing better than a good book.
Journalism 2.0: How to Survive and Thrive written by US journalist, Mark Briggs.
You can download the pdf file in English from Spanish and Portuguese in here.
Table of Contents
Introduction by Mark Briggs
Foreword by Phil Meyer
Chapter 1: FTP, MB, RSS, Oh My
• Introduction: Today’s special? Acronym soup
• Digital information: Megabytes, Gigabytes and Terabytes
• How the Internet works
• About Web browsers
• RSS readers and feeds
• RSS basics
• Instant messaging
• File Transfer Protocol
Chapter 2: Web 2.0
• Welcome to Web 2.0
• Web 2.0 is all about openness, organization and community
• Tags and folksonomy: New ways to organize content
• Can you Digg it?
• What does this mean for journalism?
• Don’t know where this is heading?
Chapter 3: Tools and Toys
• Tools you should be using
• Mobile 2.0
• iPod: The slim, sleek 800-pound gorilla
• ‘Other’ wireless
Chapter 4: New Reporting Methods
• Spreadsheets and storing data
• Your ‘so-called digital life’
• Distributed, collaborative or open-source reporting
Chapter 5: How to Blog
• What is a blog?
• Getting started
• Frequency and handling comments
• Using photos and screenshots
• Love it or leave it
Chapter 6: How to Report News for the Web
Chapter 7: Digital Audio and Podcasting
• The basics: Audio formats
• Identifying opportunities
• Buying a recorder
• Using a microphone
• Recording with your computer
• Editing your audio
• Using time points for speed
Chapter 8: Shooting and Managing Digital Photos
• The basics
• Shooting basic photos with a digital camera
• Editing photographs digitally
Chapter 9: Shooting Video for News and Feature Stories
• Digital video cameras
• Tapes, batteries and other accessories
• Zooming, focusing and exposure
• Get good audio
• Shooting the video
• As simple as it gets
• Do a trial run
Chapter 10: Basic Video Editing
• For Mac users: iMovie
• For PC users: Windows Movie Maker
Chapter 11: Writing Scripts, Doing Voice-overs
• Interviewing while recording
• On-camera standup
Epilogue: Putting It All Together
• Script for Hurricane Family Feature
You can read more about how the book was made available to public at the official The Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas at the University of Texas at Austin page in here is the article.
Enjoy it and have a great Merry Christmas with all the best.