Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Canon EOS 5D MarkIII Firmware update 1.2.1
Canon 5D Mark III firmware update v1.2.1 with uncompressed HDMI output and improved AF center point to f/8.0 is now available.
Firmware Version 1.2.1 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes.
1. Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled.
2. Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.
3. Improves the speed of the camera's acquisition of focus when using a Canon Speedlite's AF-assist beam.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode.
5. Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed.
6. Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting.
7. Communication with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter has been improved.
8. When images have been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "O" will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the WFT-E7 Wireless File Transmitter through the FTP protocol, an "X" will be displayed.
9. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used.
10. Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens.
11. Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly.
12. Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu.
13. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.
14. Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the "Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO" option.
* Items No.1 through 12 have been incorporated into firmware version 1.2.0.
* Items No.1 through 14 have been incorporated into firmware version 1.2.1.
Firmware Version 1.2.1 is for cameras with firmware version 1.2.0 or earlier. If the camera's firmware is already version 1.2.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
Preparations for the Firmware Update:
After the downloaded compressed file (.dmg file) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.
*Extracting the downloaded file:
The downloaded folder is automatically extracted, and a firmware folder is created. If the download folder cannot be automatically extracted, double-click the folder.
The extracted folder contains the firmware (file name: 5D300121.FIR / file size: 17,933,996 bytes) and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese).
Before starting the firmware update operations, please confirm the contents of the download, and carefully read through the firmware update procedures.
･ Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to version 1.2.1, it cannot be restored to a previous firmware version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.1.3).
･ It is recommended that the latest application software*1 be used, once the EOS 5D Mark III is updated to the new firmware version 1.2.1 from older firmware (versions 1.0.7 through 1.1.3). Certain previous versions of these applications do not support functions which are added by the new firmware.
･ In order to use EOS Utility software with the updated EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS Utility software must be updated to the latest version.
You can download the latest application software from Canon Web site.
*1: EOS Utility Version 2.12.11 or later (Supported OSes: Windows 7 / 7 SP1 / VistaSP2 / XP SP3, Mac OS X v10.6 / 10.7)
*1: Digital Photo Professional Version 3.12.52 or later (Supported OSes: Windows 7 / 7 SP1 / Vista SP2 / XP SP3, Mac OS X v10.6 / 10.7)
When cameras, or images taken with cameras, have been updated to the new Firmware Version 1.2.1 (or 1.2.0), and are used with the old version application software*2, the following phenomena will occur.
*2: EOS Utility
･ The "HDMI output" function, "HDMI output setting" or "HDMI output frame rate setting" cannot be registered to My Menu of the camera.
･ The lens aberration compensation data cannot be registered to the camera.
*2: Digital Photo Professional
･ If the Lens Aberration Correction Window is chosen when working with a RAW image taken with a camera running Firmware Version 1.2.1 or 1.2.0, the adjustment window will automatically shut down and the adjustment (correction) cannot be made.
･ Due to the differences in the camera firmware versions, the following phenomena will occur.*3
*3: RAW images taken with a Firmware Version 1.2.1 (or 1.2.0) camera cannot be processed on cameras with Firmware Version 1.1.3 or before.
*3: When images taken with a camera running Firmware Version 1.2.1 (or 1.2.0), are read by a camera running Firmware Version 1.1.3 or older, Direct print is not possible.
･ Accompanying the enhancements to the functions, the instruction manual has also been revised. Users are asked to download both the latest firmware and the instruction manual. You can download the latest instruction manual from our Web site.
(The following is the history of past firmware updates.)
Q: Are the previous versions of firmware included in version 1.1.3?
A: Yes, the following improvements from the previous versions are included:
Changes in Version 1.1.3:
1. Supports the single focal length EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens that is to be released at the end of June, 2012.
2. Fixes a phenomenon in which an image may become underexposed when using the Auto Lighting Optimizer for continuous Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB) shooting.
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the backlight of the LCD monitor may not turn off depending on the camera settings and timing.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera's power may not turn on when a super-telephoto lens*1) is mounted to the camera with an extender*2).
*1) EF 300mm F2.8L IS II USM / EF 400mm F2.8L IS II USM
*2) Extender EF 1.4X III / Extender EF 2X III
5. Corrects mistakes in the Dutch, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, and Swedish menu screens.
Changes in Version 1.1.2:
1. Supports a new accessory, GPS receiver GP-E2.
2. Fixes a phenomenon where a pink cast may develop over the image when the shutter is completely pressed with the camera's power turned off (by the auto power off setting).
3. Fixes a phenomenon where the camera operation stops after one shot when shooting in High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode.
4. Fixes a phenomenon where the Shooting Date/Time in the EXIF data of the image shows a later time than the actual shooting time.
5. Fixes the time zone for the Samoa Islands.
6. Corrects errors in the Finnish menu screen.
Download it directly from Canon Service Centers Europe, Australia and USA.
Or alternate links for Mac / Win install files.
Also check for some other new updates, here, for some other Canon software such as DPP, EOS Utility, etc.