My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask (Part 2)

All My Gear in 2 BagsAs the title shows this will be a very informative article with a lot of photos on how... and what is that for...

Many of you will know this back and forward and maybe with your eyes shut but others don't so this article is for you.

We all looked at great photographers and wondered "how the hell did this guys do that?" or "what kind of technique he used?" without getting any answers for those questions, except in some cases, and having this in mind I decided to pull out the cape and make this picture tutorial for the gear I use, some examples (based on links to Strobist) on what you can accomplish with that setup or gear and also some DIY tips on some of the items.

First of all you need is a camera, a lens and, or, maybe a flash depending on what you are going to photograph or if you have a camera with all of this built in that will also do.

Starting out by mention the basic and first thing that, almost all of us photographers do when we get our flashes, that's putting some Velcro on the tip of it so you can attach some gobos or some filters.

Take a look at Lighting 101: Cereal Box Snoots and GoBo's and Lighting 101: Using Gels to Correct Light for more detail information concerning this issues.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_001

Here is a photo of My 580Ex with Velcro taped all around so I can put a gobo in it either up, down, left or right. Do put the Velcro to near the head's end if you want to use a StoFen. You can see it in the picture the space between the Velcro and the end of the flash head.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_002My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_003

On this two pictures you can see the small gel filter with the Velcro tape each one represents one side so they can glue to each other.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_004

Now in a detail view of what I meant.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_005

An here is how you can use them (Green and Orange CTO) it on your flash head.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_006

And this is my latest DIY project that have replaced the other method. You can build one yourself follow the link to DIY: Lee Filters Flash Adapter and you can make one yourself.

This one is very useful since you can carry all the Lee filters color gels with you and do not need to worry about getting them with Velcro.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_007

And while we are in the Filter section here goes another free tip for you.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_008My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_009

The Lee filters come with a plastic thing to hold them together and if you break it you no longer can hold all of those tiny pieces of sheets together so...

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_010

After you cut it and remove it from the hole they will fall apart... no, no, no.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_011

What I want you to do is to grab two ear plug boxes (I normally use these for my concert photography) .

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_012

And remove the iron thing that comes with it. I think you can also find this kind of stuff sold by meter on some hardware stores, this stuff is used on bathroom Basin or in the kitchen Sink and it normally holds between the Taps and the hole. You'll see it when you get there... don't tell your wife I told you to steel one from there ;)

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_016

Here is a detail of the two binding together.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_013

After binding you just pass them through the hole.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_014

And that's it. You can now close it. Let's see how it works in the filed...

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_015

Let's think that you will need a blue filter from the middle of the pack. You just have to choose it and then slide the opening to it and as you can see in the above picture open it where you need it. Cool yeah?

Well let's move on...

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_017

For people using the Pocket Wizard system a lot of question have been raised for the hot shoe connections between them and the strobes. Here is a photo of the hot shoe (with cable) system I use from Kaiser, on the photo you can see the top and back part.

I've chosen this system since it's not all metallic (so it won't fry you strobe) and because it has a PC sync cable so I can use with my 580Ex that does not have this connection... if you are lucky enough to have the 580ExII then maybe you won't need one with the cord.

They are not difficult to find just Google around for them.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_018

Before I find them I had one made, for my 580EX, from Michael Bass (This guy is very good in transformations and new ideas to your gear so at least take a look at the stuff he as maybe there is something you could need) but they turn out to be very expensive with postage to Europe. Above is the photo of the custom made.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_019

A little more about hot shoes. Why do you need them and what are they for.

Hot Shoe: The hot shoe is an accessory shoe built into the top of most professional cameras incorporating electrical contacts which allow you to usually add flash guns designed by the camera manufacturer.

Now that you know what they are let's see some illustrations on how to use them.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_020

Here you have the hot shoe attached to the flash and the plugged in to the Pocket Wizard so you can trigger the 580Ex wireless.
More on this at Lighting 101: PC Cords and Pocket Wizards.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_022My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_021

I also have these small stand from Hama (very cheap and very handy) you can attach the Hot Shoe to the flash and then used it on the tripod, simply screw them to the tripod and voila you got yourself a small portable stand for your flash to be triggered wireless from anywhere.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_023

Make your Westcott umbrella stiff with my DIY: Westcott Umbrella Reinforcement.

Moving on to another subject that's also very interesting is the stands.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_024My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_025

DIY tip
to make your stands moreas portable, just drill one hole on each of the sides of the Manfrotto tripod (like showed on the pictures above).

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_026

Then grab that hold strap from a pouch or travel bag you don't use any more.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_027My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_028

Just put it through the holes.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_029

Look how portable it has become... now you can put it around your neck like Robin Wood :)

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_031

This is another great piece of gear... small, light, portable and very useful.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_030

This is one example on what you can use it in. These are great since they are very inexpensive and small and you can find them almost in any hardware store and with different colors.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_031
My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_032

Here is the setup shot to the main image. Light coming from 280Ex pointed at white wall on the right to produce soft reflective light, ISO 100, Tv 125 and Av 8.0.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_033

Remember I told you about the Velcro adjustable ties (Part 1) well here they are. I've just joined two together so you can see the effect and how long they can be.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_034My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_035

Above are some examples on what you can use them for. If you lucky enough to get your hands on Ball Bungees take a look at Lighting 101 - Ball Bungees.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_036My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_037

You can tie your umbrella to the Robin Wood's stick (Manfrotto stand) and carry it along without any effort.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_038

Manfrotto Super Clamps (035) and Manfrotto Adapter Spigot (013) Universal 16 mm spigot with double male thread 1/4” and 3/8”. You cannot leave home without one and next you will see why...

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_039My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_040


When you put the Manfrotto Adapter Spigot (013) Universal 16 mm spigot with double male thread 1/4” and 3/8” on the Manfrotto Super Clamps (035) you now be able to attach a Hot Shoe adapter to connect your Pocket Wizards or your Gadget Infinity.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_041

This is what it looks like with the Gadget Infinity attached.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_042My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_043

You can attach it to Vertical or Horizontal objects. Here, on the example, it's on a movable chair.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_044My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_045

But you can use it on a door handle or on the door side. Imagine how cool this can be since you can attach it to almost anything in anyplace where you can not fit a stand on.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_046

Here is the setup shot for the door pictures.

You can get more on this at Lighting 101 - Super Clamps.

And last but not least,

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_047

The Manfrotto umbrella stand adapter w/hot-shoe mount (026) and Manfrotto Adapter Spigot (013) Universal 16 mm spigot with double male thread 1/4” and 3/8”.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_048

This is the way to put it on the Manfrotto stand.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_049

The umbrella goes on this hole. Notice that I'm pointing out to a mark I made on the adapter , this is because one side of the adpater makes the umbrella off center with the flash. Take a careful look when you assemble yours to know what is the correct side.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_050

A closer look after mounting the umbrella.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_051

Here is the assembly with Gadget Infinty on top of the Manfrotto umbrella adapter.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_052

This is what it should look like after opening the umbrella and ready to shoot.
More of this umbrella adapter at Lighting 101: Umbrella Adapters.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_053

You can use it also with the Manfrotto super clamp and I'll show you how.

Here is all the stuff you need:
Manfrotto Adapter (015) 1/4” To 3/8”, Manfrotto Adapter Spigot (013) Universal 16 mm spigot with double male thread 1/4” and 3/8”, Manfrotto Adapter Spigot (119) 1/4” & 3/8” Universal short 16 mm spigot with double female thread 1/4” and 3/8”, Manfrotto superclamp (035), and Manfrotto umbrella stand adapter w/hot-shoe mount (026).

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_054

Screw the Manfrotto Adapter (015) 1/4 To 3/8 with Manfrotto Adapter Spigot (119) 1/4 & 3/8 Universal short 16 mm spigot with double female thread 1/4” and 3/8.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_055

Insert it on the Manfrotto superclamp (035).

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_056

Insert the Manfrotto Adapter Spigot (013) Universal 16 mm spigot with double male thread 1/4” and 3/8” into the Manfrotto umbrella stand adapter w/hot-shoe mount (026).

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_057

Now mount them together like in the above shot.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_058

Here it is completely assembled and transformers alike ;)

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_059

Now you just need to put you Gadget Infinity or Pocket Wizard there and you're ready to rock!!

Finally here are some photos of what you can do with this Transformer. It's kind of BIG but, as you can see, with the umbrella put on you will have a lot of flexibility.

My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_060My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_061My Gear - What you wanted to know but were afraid to ask_062

As odd as it seem all of the photos were taken with the below gear.

Gear used to shoot the all photos

Canon Powershot G6, Pack of 8 AA batteries, Gadget Infinity Transmitter and Receiver, Canon flash 220EX with no manual control and Quick Lok microphone stand.

As you can see you can get photos with the gear you already have. You simply need to put your head to work.

Hope you enjoy this My Gear 2 part tutorials and stay tuned for more good stuff.

Rui

My Gear - What's in the Bags? (Part 1)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Superb visual guide to strobist stuff. Very well done (and extensively documented)!

Anonymous said...

This is such a timely and beautifully described post on what you carry with you in your bag. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I am amazed... Thanks for sharing!

Henrique Manreza said...

What do you think of st-e2 the canon?

ruimleal said...

Hello Henrique Manreza,

I think it's a good option for inside works but when you take it outside in a bright sunlight you will not be able to trigger the flash since the sun will be too strong for the infra red. I prefer radio triggers since you can fire them anywhere and through almost anything.

Thanks
Rui

Unknown said...

I just recently bought the Manfrotto Adapter and have no idea what that black arm on the side does. I have tried moving it and it will not budge. I have also tried pulling and then turning it, which it moves, but nothing happens! Please advise :)

Unknown said...

I have just bought two Manfrotto Umbrella Adapters as shown in images and cannot seem to figure the use of the black arm on the side. I have tried moving it and it will not budge. And when I pull on it and them move it, it turns, but nothing happens. Can someone please tell me what its for and how to use it! Thanks

ruimleal said...

France, if you are talking about the Manfrotto umbrella adapter each knob does its own thing.

One is for tight it to the stand (on bottom Plastic square one), the one in the middle (big plastic one) is to adjust the position of the adapter (facing forward or backwards), the metal one is to adjust the Hot Shoe adapter and the small round plastic one is to tight the umbrella (beneath the metal one).

For the big plastic one you can also pull it out a little in order to help you out when you storage it so it fits better in your space.

I think this has nothing special to it each knob as is function.

Hope this helps.

Rui

Anonymous said...

Does the adapter (026) usually come with spigots? Most shops show a picture of it with two spigots but never state specifically that they are included.

I've found one site:
http://www.hiltonphoto.co.uk/products/details/32643.html

which does say they are included. However, this is slightly confusing as the spigot that you are labelling as 013 looks more like the included 118. Although both have the same end sizes the overall shape appears to be different. Would either be compatible?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

After looking around a bit more it seems that when you buy the umbrella stand adapter (026) it comes with spigots 118 and 119. The nano stand (001b) has a type 19 part on top, not sure if it is removable or not, and also comes with a spigot 015. Is this all correct?

As far as I can tell you haven't used a spigot 013

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/images/manfrotto/013.jpg

its a 118

http://www.fotocasiondigital.com/images/portadas/10796.jpg

Hopefully you can confirm this as I'm really not sure what bits I need to buy. Thanks again.

ruimleal said...

SwiftEdge,

thanks for the comment. The ones that I bought always included the spigot.

I think they both work. What you should look for on the spigot is that it would have the hot shoe mount type so you can attach it to the hot shoe adapter.

Anonymous said...

Hey There, all of this seems so interesting I am buying a Canon 40D in about a month along with some sort of flash setup. for starters I want to go big with a Speedlight 530 and a gadget infinity radio transmitter. would you recommend this setup? I'm interested in enhanced portraiture of any kind and all sorts of other experiments. Is there any way to control that flash wirelessly from the camera? any and all information can be sent

to drcordell@gmail.com
thank you very much

bobby said...

hi,

can you tell me how you attached the flash to the mic stand? i have 3 or 4 boom mic stands laying around for recording and this would be great if i could save a little cash on stands until i have the need.

thanks,
bobby

Anonymous said...

I've discovered earrings work better for holding filters together. I tried the chain thing, I've got lots of that kinda chain laying around. But I knew I wanted something better, so I went looking in the key chain area at a local deathmart and saw these $3 earrings and thought they'd do nicely. They're 2.5 inches in diameter, and have a latch that's not so big I can't pull the filters over it. And , that latch is very firm, so I don't have to worry about my filters coming off in the camera bag. I mainly like this method better because I can hold them in one hand while I pull the desired filter off with the other. The chain method requires setting them down while you take off the filter.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff230/duronboy/_mg_01971.jpg