TinEye - Image Search Engine Revolution

This software is a revolution for photographers and photo enthusiasts! But I’m getting ahead of myself… excitement and all. Let me introduce you to TinEye.com. The first true image search engine to hit the Net.

I was lucky enough to be able to test a web service in beta state that promises to find copies across the Internet of the image that we may upload.

This service is called TinEye time and is accessed by invitation through its website, through this form.

The thing is quite simple. Tenemos tres métodos para llevar a cabo nuestra misión, subir la foto que queremos que TinEye busque, indicarle su ubicación en internet o utilizar un cómodo plugin para Firefox. We have three ways to carry out our mission, upload the photo you want to look TinEye, indicate their location on the Internet or use a convenient plugin for Firefox. That's it!

According to its creators, some reasons for using TinEye would be:

- Finding copies of your pictures.
- Search products using a photograph.
- Finding modifications made to an image.
- Investigate the use of images of stock.
- Using a webcam to digitize an image and look it over the Internet.

Although it should be noted that since this is a very young and fresh beta service, the database needs to grow even more, so unless you have a picture very, very famous, is not going to give you time results. Up until now none of my images was found but I think with time and after the database has grown all images could be found there.

They also have a cool plugin for Firefox, you just have to right click on the image you like to make it search for a result.

That is why I recommend you take a look at some of the results already show on its website or try the images of stock sold or used more you find.

If confirmed pledges of the company that it has created, we will be in front of a good tool to have a look to use that occurs through the network of our photos, the most interesting activity in a world where foreign ownership of what is unfortunately very common.

I leave with an instructional video of the service.



3 comments:

Antonio Correia said...

It was a good find Rui.
I knew this program existed but I didn't know how to find it.
I will see if one or two of my images are copied or not LOL

Antonio Correia said...

I have a Mac OS X and I tried this on it.
The computer crashed - which is indeed very rare among Macs - and to repair it, I had a lot of trouble.
TinEye didn't find my pictures on smugmug neither on flickr.
A waist of time and effort.
:(
Don't try it. Or... am I wronge and everything is my own fault ?

ruimleal said...

Hi Antonio,

I believe this is a good service with no intentions on getting users to have computer errors with them.
Maybe this was an isolated case and my advise is you should contact them and explain your problems maybe that has to do with OSX libraries.

No problems so far under the Windows platform.